I am working on a new build of D-Star hotspot which will be way better than the DVAP, or DHAP. The new product will feature compact headless industrial design with super easy management and use. Here are some highlights on the unit which is currently in development:
(but first, a teaser picture of the product – the finished prototype – click for larger images)
- Universal 9-35 VDC power input with internal regulation – power easily with Solar, DC, or portable source like Li-Po packs
- UHF operation in the 70cm Ham Band
- Easily shows operational status by panel mounted LEDs
- Panel mounted NEUTRIK connectors for Ethernet & USB Tether connections for supreme field durability
- Panel mounted coaxial DC input connection
- fan-less design – no moving parts to wear out
- Built in a compact die-cast aluminum enclosure that can stand the rigors of mobile field use
- Easy web based configuration management via laptop on shortcable to ethernet port
- Simple “Bat Shit Stupid” operation by 2 buttons, Reboot & Shutdown.
- Seamlessly switch between USB tethered internet (iPhone & Android) and wired internet
- You don’t need to be a Linux guru or programmer to operate this unit
- Low power footprint (approx. 6 watts)
- Panel mounted SMA antenna connector accepts any standard UHF SMA whip antenna, or for increased range, use an external antenna with an SMA adaptor
- Approx. range is 1 mile line of sight but on average you can get .5 miles or more with just a whip antenna
- Keeps you connected to the world-wide D-Star network while on the move or where D-Star repeaters are not available.
- LED panel mount indicators for: ircddbgateway, dstarrepeater, internet reachability, & MicroSD card I/O for “at a glance” operational status.
Stay Tuned – more details and pictures to come soon!